Saturday, 4. February 2012
What better way to say I love you than cooking dinner for the ones you love! The Valentine’s Salad recipe below is from B.R. Cohn Winery & Olive Oil Company, a wonderful winery to visit in Sonoma County, California. Visitors to B.R. Cohn can experience wine tastings and olive oil tastings. Enjoy this creative salad and plan a trip to B.R. Cohn.
“My Heart Beets For You” Valentine’s Salad
2 beets 1½ – 2” in diameter, trimmed and scrubbed
3 c mixed spring greens
3 T chopped and toasted walnuts
2 T B.R. Cohn Raspberry Champagne Vinegar
1 T B.R. Cohn Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 t honey
½ T finely minced shallots
Freshly ground pepper
Pinch sea salt
Goat cheese, if desired
1. Rub beets with 1 T B.R. Cohn Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with salt.
2. Place in double layer aluminum foil and wrap to make tight package.
3. Roast beets in 375-degree oven until tender, about 1 hour. When cool, rub skin off beets and slice into 1/4” rounds. By hand or using a small cookie cutter, cut beets into heart shapes.
4. Combine B.R. Cohn Raspberry Champagne Vinegar, olive oil, honey, shallots and ground pepper in small jar. Shake well.
5. Just before serving, toss mixed greens with 2 tbsp of the walnuts and half of the dressing.
6. Arrange on 2 plates and top with heart shaped beets. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with walnuts.
Note: Chioggia or golden beets can be used as well. Roast each variety separately. Try adding goat cheese in the shape of hearts or crumbled.
Suggested Wine Pairing: B.R. Cohn Sonoma County Chardonnay
Recipe provided by B.R. Cohn Winery & Olive Oil Company