500g (a little over 1 lb) venison mince
5 T cooking oil
2 finely chopped large onions
2 finely chopped carrots
100g (3.5 oz) finely chopped pumpkin
1 finely chopped zucchini
5 crushed cloves garlic
1 c torn basil leaves
½ c dry, red wine (e.g. Vin Alto Di Sotto)
3 x 400g tins (total of @42 oz) of Italian crushed tomatoes
5 T of Italian tomato puree
4 beef stock cubes
1 t salt
1. Heat 3 T of oil in a large pan and sauté the carrots, onion, pumpkin and zucchini over a medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent.
2. Turn the temperature down to low, add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Do not let the garlic brown.
3. Add the basil and sauté for 2 minutes more.
4. Increase the heat and add the wine, tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cubes, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly mixed and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on the pan and simmer gently for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the mince over a medium heat until brown.
6. Add to the sauce, replace the lid and continue simmering over a low heat for one hour. You will need to stir more frequently as the sauce gets thicker. Serve over good Italian pasta and with a crisp green salad or use for Bisnonna's lasagne recipe.