Open in new window to print
Title: Bittersweet Chocolate Icewine Truffle Cake
8.5 oz. (230 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
3/4 c (180 g) plain butter cookies (arrowroot or shortbread style)
4 egg yolks
1/3 c (80 g) milk
1/3 c (80 g Vidal icewine
8.5 oz. (230 g) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c (180 mL) ground almonds
5 oz. (140 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
2 T (30 mL) whipping cream
1. Melt chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pot of water. Stir well. Remove from heat and cool.
2. In the meantime, chop cookies in a food processor until reduced to a fine powder. Set aside.
3. Add egg yolks one by one to chocolate, stirring after each addition.
4. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk to a boil.
5. Slowly drizzle the hot milk into the chocolate mixture, whisking constantly. Return to heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens, about 6 minutes. Do not boil.
6. Remove from heat, let cool, whisk in Icewine, butter, cookie powder and ground almonds.
7. Pour mixture into desired cake mold. Refrigerate until set.
8. To unmold, dip cake mold briefly into a large container filled with hot water then quickly tip upside down to release cake.
9. Melt chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pot of water.
10. When melted, remove from heat and add cream. Whisk and carefully pour on top of cake.
Makes one 8-inch cake
Recipe by Izabela Kalabis-Sacco
Provided by Inniskillin Wines Inc., Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada.