Open in new window to print
Title: Demi-Sec Scented Pear Tartlets with Vanilla Cream
2 packages three-inch puff pastry tart shells
1/4 cup Round Barn Vineyard Demi Sec (Note: this is a semi-dry white wine)
5 cups ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pinch nutmeg
2 ounces unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, very cold
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Bake the tart shells in a preheated oven according to manufacturers directions. Fully cooled shells can be tightly wrapped on a baking sheet and stored for up to 24 hours without loss of quality.
2. While the tart shells are baking, combine all filling ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl and toss well.
3. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over a medium burner.
4. Add the pear mixture and bring to a simmer.
5. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the pears have released their liquid and look translucent.
6. Reduce heat and stir often as the mixture reduces to keep the pears from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The filling can be cooled and refrigerated for up to five days.
7. To finish the tarts, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla to medium peaks with a hand mixer.
8. Divide the filling evenly among the twelve tart shells and pipe or dollop the top of each with cream just before serving.
Recipe provided by The Round Barn Winery Distillery & Brewery, Baroda, Michigan.