Open in new window to print
Title: Wine Poached Pears in Chocolate Sauce
6 fresh California pears, peeled and sprinkled with the lemon juice as they are peeled (Bosc is the traditional variety for this recipe, but any variety may be used.)
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T peel of 1 lemon
2/3 c sugar
2-1/4 c of water
1 bottle of red wine
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
Fat free chocolate syrup
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, make a simple syrup by combining red wine, sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon peel.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce by ¼.
3. Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and stir.
4. Stand pears in the pan with syrup, not touching each other.
5. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Let pears cool in syrup, then gently lift with a slotted spoon, place on a platter or bowl and set red wine mixture aside.
Serves 6 servings
Recipe provided by California Pears.