Open in new window to print
Title: Mixed Berries w/Caramel Ice Cream and Syrup
Ice Cream Ingredients
1 c whole milk
1 oz fennel seeds
5 egg yolks
1 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
Syrah Syrup Ingredients
1 bottle Syrah
2/3 c sugar
1 orange slice
½ vanilla bean
½ cinnamon stick
4 white peppercorns
Use mixed berries – raspberries, blueberries, huckleberries and/or blackberries.
Directions for Ice Cream
1. Combine milk and fennel; bring to simmer and steep 5 minutes
2. Combine eggs and sugar; whisk in ½ hot mixture, return to sauce pan.
3. Whisk constantly over medium heat until it coats the back of spoon.
4. Place in ice bath; cool to room temperature.
5. Whisk in heavy cream.
6. Strain, cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
7. Freeze in ice cream maker.
Directions for Syrah Syrup
1. Combine ingredients and simmer over medium heat until reduced to a syrupy consistency.
2. Strain and cool.
Presentation: scoop ice cream into a bowl and drizzle syrup over ice cream. Garnish with mixed berries.
Prepared for Domaine Serene, Dayton, Oregon by Chef David McGlade - email davidrmcglade(at)gmail.com.