Open in new window to print
Title: Rose Chiffon Pie
2 c blanched almonds, ground
2 T butter or oleo
3 T sugar
1 envelope Unflavored gelatin
¾ c sugar
4 eggs, separated
½ c Duplin Bald Head Red wine
¼ c Water
¼ t cream of tartar
1 c whipping cream
5 drops red food color
Bald Head Red wine is a semi-sweet blush made from native grapes.
1. Blend ground almonds, softened butter, and sugar.
2. Press into a 9 inch pie pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
1. Mix gelatin and ½ cup of the sugar into top of a double boiler; beat in egg yolks until light and fluffy.
2. Blend in wine and water; place over simmering water.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves and mixture coats a spoon.
4. Pour into a large bowl. Set bowl in a pan of ice water to speed setting. Chill at room temperature, stirring often, just until as thick as unbeaten egg white.
5. While mixture chills, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy white and double in volume in a medium size bowl; beat in remaining ¼ c sugar, 1 T at a time, until meringue stands in stiff peaks.
6. Beat cream until stiff in a second medium size bowl.
7. Fold meringue, then whipped cream into thickened gelatin mixture until no streaks of white remain.
8. Fold in about 5 drops of food coloring to tint pink.
9. Chill again, if necessary, until thick enough to mound when spooned.
10. Spoon into cooled crust.
11. Chill at least 4 hours or until firm.
12. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and toasted almond slices.
Provided by Duplin Winery, North Carolina