Open in new window to print
Title: Grapevine Smoked Duck Breasts
½ c Madeira wine
½ c reduced sodium soy sauce
½ c strong brewed coffee or espresso
3 T honey
3 T grape seed or olive oil
2 t fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t black pepper
1 t dry mustard
1 t ground allspice
4 Magret duck breasts, boneless (about ½ lb each)
Score the skin side of the duck breasts and place in steamer insert over pot of boiling water.
2. Steam for 20 minutes.
While duck is steaming, prepare the marinade:
3. In large glass baking dish, combine Madeira, soy sauce, coffee, honey, oil, ginger, garlic and spices.
4. Whisk together.
5. Add the duck breasts to the dish, spooning marinade over the top of the duck.
6. Cover with plastic wrap.
7. Marinade in refrigerator for several hours, turning occasionally.
8. Prepare the smoker for 225 degrees.
9. Remove duck breasts from the marinade.
10. Smoke at 225 degrees over grapevine cuttings for about an hour.
11. Let duck rest for 5 – 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
12. While waiting, uncork your wine.
13. Slice breasts on the diagonal (across the grain) and serve.
Serve with Wintergreen Winery’s “Brent’s Mountain” Merlot.
Provided by Wintergreen Winery, Virginia.