Open in new window to print
Title: Petite Sirah Braised Short Ribs
5 lbs bone-in beef short ribs, cut into 2” pieces
Kosher salt and fine ground black pepper
3 T canola oil
3 yellow onions, small diced
3 carrots, peeled and small diced
2 celery stalks, small diced
3 T all purpose flour
1 T tomato paste
1 750ml bottle B Cellars Petite Sirah
10 parsley stems, reserve leaves for garnish
4 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic, sliced
32 oz beef stock
Preheat over to 350°F
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil until it begins to “shimmer” but not smoke.
2. Liberally season short ribs with Kosher salt and fine ground black pepper.
3. Sear short ribs on all sides until deep golden brown. This may have to be done in batches. Set ribs aside and pour off any excess fat that may have rendered from the ribs.
4. Add diced onions, carrots, and celery to Dutch oven and sauté, stirring often, until caramelized (approximately 5 minutes.)
5. Stir in tomato paste and cook until color becomes deep red.
6. Incorporate flour and stir until well combined. Add B Cellars Petite Sirah, short ribs, and any that may have accumulated.
7. Bring wine to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half (approximately 30 minutes.)
8. Add the herbs, garlic, and beef stock, bring back up to a simmer then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook short ribs until fork tender (approximately 2½ hours.)
9. After short ribs have been braised, remove from pan and strain sauce.
10. Reduce sauce until it reaches desired consistency and season to taste. Spoon sauce over ribs, and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
Suggested Pairing: B Cellars Petite Sirah
Recipe provided by B Cellars Winery & Tasting Salon in Napa Valley, California.