Open in new window to print
Title: Knapp Shrimp Newburg
1 lb rock shrimp
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
2 T plus 1 t medium-dry Sherry
3 T plus 1 t Knapp Brandy
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
Cayenne to taste
4 large egg yolks, beaten well
Puff pastry points as an accompaniment
1.In a heavy saucepan cook the shrimp in the butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes
2. Add 2 T of Sherry and 3 T of Knapp Brandy, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3. Transfer the shrimp with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
4. Add the cream to the Sherry mixture and boil the mixture until it is reduced to about 1 cup.
6. Whisk in the yolks, cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 140°F on a deep-fat thermometer, and cook it, whisking, for 3 minutes more.
7. Stir in the shrimp and serve the Shrimp Newburg over the puff pastry.
Provided by Knapp Winery Vineyard and Restaurant, New York.