Open in new window to print
Title: Braised Short Ribs with Star Anise Bay Leaf and Orange Zest
4 lbs short ribs, bone in
2 T vegetable oil
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 T tomato paste
2 c red wine
2 c beef broth
1 piece star anise
3 strips orange zest
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a wide, heavy bottom stainless steel saucepan, brown short ribs over high heat with vegetable oil, until brown on all sides. Remove from the pan, add the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes to caramelize.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Deglaze with the red wine and reduce by half.
- Add the beef broth, star anise, orange zest and bay leaves. Return the short ribs to the pan, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and place in the middle of the oven.
- Cook for 3 hours or until beef is tender and is pulling away from the bone.
- Remove beef and strain broth into a saucepan.
- Skim the top of broth of fat and reduce to a light sauce consistency.
- Pour the sauce back over the short ribs and serve with potato puree, noodles or your favorite accompaniment.
Enjoy with a Glass of Cakebread Cellars Zinfandel.
Recipe provided by Cakebread Cellars, Rutherford, California.