Open in new window to print
Title: Linguine with Cherry Tomatoes & Herbed Clam Sauce
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
½ large white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ t salt
½ c dry white wine
1 t dried thyme leaves
3 cans (6.5 oz. each) chopped clams
¼ c fresh basil, chopped
¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
¼ c fresh scallions, sliced
1 lb hot, cooked spinach linguine or tagliatelle pasta
1 c cherry tomatoes, optional
Several nice fresh basil leaves, for garnish
1. Fill a large pasta pot with hot water and a generous amount of salt. Bring to a simmer until pasta needs to be cooked.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and stir and cook until it is translucent and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
3. Next, add the minced garlic and stir and cook for a minute or two longer.
4. Add the wine and the dried thyme and reduce liquid by half.
5. Now add the juice from the canned clams and simmer the mixture until it has reduced by half.
6. Bring the pasta water to a boil and cook the linguine according to the package directions.*
7. Add the clams and fresh herbs to the sauce and continue to simmer while pasta finishes cooking.
8. Drain pasta and put it into a large serving bowl. Add half of the clam sauce to the pasta and toss gently but quickly. Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the pasta and sprinkle the cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves over the top.
9. Serve pasta immediately.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*This is a good time to start cooking the linguine as it takes about the same time as reducing the pasta sauce.
Recipe provided by Chef Kristine Schug at Schug Carneros Estate Winery.
Chef Kristine Schug interview