Open in new window to print
Title: Grilled Pizza With Prawns, Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula
2½ c all purpose unbleached flour
2 c durum flour
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
1¾ c water, about 75 F
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1½ lbs ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 sprig fresh basil
2 T extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch chili flakes
1 lb large prawns, peeled, deveined, and cut in half lengthwise
¼ c Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc
1 T flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
10 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
¼ c fresh basil, chopped
1 c arugula, washed and dried
1. Mix together all the ingredients, except the water, in bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer, with the dough hook attachment.
2. Add the water and mix until dough pulls together and forms a ball.
3. Remove from work bowl and finish kneading by hand on a lightly floured work surface, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
4. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside and allow to rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down and divide into 6 balls. Set on a floured sheet tray, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to make pizza.
Tomato Sauce And Toppings
1. To make the tomato sauce: Combine the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add the tomatoes, sprig of basil and a pinch of salt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until thick.
3. Pass though a food mill or leave as is for a rougher consistency.
4. Peel the prawns, devein and slice in half lengthwise.
5. Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and chili flakes together in a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Add the prawns and toss to evenly coat in the oil. Add the white wine and parsley and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the prawns become opaque, stirring frequently. Set aside.
6. On a floured surface, flatten a ball of dough using the palm of your hand. With your fingers or rolling pin work the dough into a thin round disk.
7. Brush surface with olive oil and place on the grill, oil side down. Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes to brown the underside.
8. Brush the top side with olive oil and using a pair of tongs, turn the pizza over. Working quickly spread a little tomato sauce over the pizza. Top with a handful of cherry tomatoes, the prawns and the grated cheese.
9. Place the lid on the grill and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the underside and melt the cheese on top.
10. Remove from the grill and tear some basil over the top as well as a small handful of arugula.
11. Cut the pizza into slices and serve, and then continue making pizzas with the remaining dough.
Recipe provided by Cakebread Cellars in California.