Open in new window to print
Title: Braised Beef Short Ribs
5lb Beef short ribs, cut into sections
Flour seasoned with salt & pepper for dredging
1/4 c Rendered bacon fat
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
1lb Onions, unpeeled, chopped
6 Carrots Sliced
1/2t Dried Rosemary
1c Ingleside Syrah
3c Beef Broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dredge ribs in flour. Heat bacon fat in ovenproof kettle over moderately high heat. Brown the ribs in single layers.
3. Transfer browned ribs with tongs to a plate.
4. Pour bacon fat from kettle except for 2 tablespoons. In the remaining bacon fat cook garlic, onions, carrots, and rosemary, salt and peppered to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned.
5. Deglaze the kettle with red wine. Add beef broth to mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Place ribs in a single layer, if possible, in the kettle. Cover. Braise ribs in oven until tender, about 2 hours.
5. Transfer ribs to platter and keep warm.
6. Pour cooking liquid through sieve into a saucepan, discarding solids. Skim fat. Spoon sauce over ribs.
7. Serve with boiled new potatoes.
Provided by Bruce Perrygo, Ingleside Vineyards, Virginia.