Open in new window to print
Title: Roast Venison Shanks
4 venison shanks
6 T olive oil
2 finely chopped large onions
8 coarsely chopped carrots
1 T each of finely chopped sage, thyme and rosemary
350ml dry, red wine (e.g. Vin Alto Di Sotto) about 1/2 of a 750ml bottle
1 x 400g (about 14 oz) tin of Italian plum tomatoes
300ml (about 10.1oz) chicken stock salt and black pepper
1. Heat 4 T of the oil in a large, heavy pan which has a lid over a medium high heat and brown the venison on all sides. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
2. Heat the remaining oil, turn the temperature down to medium, add the onion and carrots and sauté for 15 minutes until soft but now brown.
3. Add the herbs and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat, add the wine, tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
5. Lower the heat, add the venison shanks, replace the lid and simmer gently for 3 hours, turning the shanks occasionally.
Serve with the pan juices over good Italian pasta or with sautéed potatoes and a green vegetable which can soak up the juices, such as broccoli.
Provided by Vin Alto Winery, New Zealand.