Open in new window to print
Title: Icewine Marinated Pork Medallions with Corn Crusted Onion Rings
6 dried red Chilies
3 T hot water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t dried sage
4 T Vidal Icewine
4 T olive oil
1 10-oz pork tenderloin
½ cup whole milk
1 egg, beaten
1 onion sliced into rings
½ cup course cornmeal
1 t dried red chili flakes
1 t parsley
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Canola oil, for deep frying
1. Place the chilies in a bowl, cover with hot water and let soak for 20-30 minutes. Reserving the water, drain.
2. Using a food processor, process the chilies into a paste with the garlic, sage, Icewine and oil. Rub the chili paste all over the pork tenderloin (add a little of the reserved soaking water if needed) and let marinate overnight.
3. Whisk the milk and eggs together. Separate the onions into rings and soak in the milk mixture for 30 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 350°F (160°C). Heat a cast iron grill pan. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper and sear it on the stove for about 2 minutes on each side.
5. Transfer pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes for medium, adapting time according to preferred doneness. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, mix the cornmeal, chili and parsley together and season with salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil to 325°-350°F (150°-180°C).
7. Remove a few onion rings from the milk mixture and dip each one into the cornmeal mixture, coating thoroughly. Fry in batch for 2-4 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Do not overcrowd the pan. Remove the onion rings from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
8. To serve, slice tenderloin on a diagonal into 12 equal slices. Place 3 on each of 4 individual dinner plates and top with onion rings. Serve with Riesling Icewine.
Recipe by Izabela Kalabis-Sacco
Provided by Inniskillin Wines Inc., Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada.