Open in new window to print
Title: Vitello Tonnato
3 lb (1.5kg) nut of veal
1.5 oz (45g) canned flat anchovy fillets, drained
1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
2 medium carrots (240g), chopped finely
3 trimmed sticks celery (225g), chopped finely
2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
6 sprigs parsley
5 C (1.25 litres) chicken stock
1 & 1/2 c (375ml) dry white wine (Vin Alto Unwooded Chardonnay)
1 & 1/2 T capers
3/4 c (180ml) vegetable oil
1 egg yolk
3 1/2 oz (100g) canned tuna, drained
2 T lemon juice
1/4 c (60ml) cream
1. Using tip of sharp knife, make shallow cuts along length of veal. Cut four anchovy fillets into 1/2 in (1cm) lengths; reserve remaining anchovies. Insert anchovy pieces and garlic into each cut in veal.
2. Place veal in large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, uncovered. Drain veal; rinse under cold running water.
3. Return veal to pan with carrot, celery, onion, parsley, stock and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partly covered, about 1 & 1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
4. Remove veal from stock; leave to cool. Reserve 1/4 cup stock for sauce; cool. Can be made a day ahead to this stage and refrigerated, covered.
5. Cut veal into thin slices. Dip veal into sauce and arrange in overlapping slices around plate. Serve remainder of sauce seperately; sprinkle with capers.
1. Cover reserved anchovy fillets with water; stand 10 minutes.
2. Drain; pat dry with absorbent paper.
3. Place oil, egg yolk, tuna, anchovy and juice in blender; blend until smooth.
4. Place mixture in small bowl; stir in cream and reserved stock. Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered.
Provided by Provided by: Vin Alto, New Zealand.