Open in new window to print
Title: Macaroni Baked with Stilton and Port
8 oz elbow macaroni: cook in boiling water with 1 &1/2 t salt until al dente (about 10 min): drain
1 T safflower oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 T flour
½ C ISAAC SMITH Port
1 C low-fat milk
1 C unsalted chicken broth
4 oz Stilton or other blue cheese, crumbled
2 t Dijon mustard
1/8 t white pepper
¼ C dry bread crumbs
1 t paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Pour the oil into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally until they are transparent (about 2 minutes).
4. Sprinkle the flour over the shallots and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes.
5. Pour the Port into the pan and whisk slowly: add the milk and the stock in the same manner, whisking after each addition, to form a smooth sauce.
6. Gently simmer the sauce for 3 minutes.
7. Stir in half of the cheese along with the mustard and pepper; continue stirring until the cheese has melted.
8. Combine the cooked macaroni with the sauce; transfer to a baking dish.
9. Combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining crumbled cheese; scatter evenly over top.
10. Sprinkle paprika over all.
11. Bake until the sauce is bubbling hot and the top is crisp (20 to 25 minutes).
Provided by Cape May Winery, Cape May, New Jersey.