Open in new window to print
Title: Mediterranean Chicken Breast with Risotto and Sauteed Zucchini
For the Chicken and Sauce:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
1/2 to 3/4 c of ’05 Rhapsody Zinfandel,
1 large Vidalia or Texas sweet onion diced small
3 garlic cloves
1/2 t salt and pepper or to taste
1/4 c of diced green olives stuffed with pimiento
1/2 t of small capers
1 t dried rosemary
4 ripe plum tomatoes cubed
3 T of good virgin olive oil
1/4 of water
For the Risotto:
Note: You can purchase ‘Ready made’ Risotto or make it from scratch.
Arborio rice 2 1/2 c
1/4 t saffron threads
3/4 t salt
3/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
3 T butter
1/4 c finely chopped onion
6 c of chicken stock or two 14.5 ounce cans mixed with 2 c of water
Additional 1/2 c Parmesan cheese for topping
For the zucchini:
2 large zucchini, diced into chunks
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cooking Time is 30-40 minutes. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season with salt & pepper. In a large flame-proof casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and turn up heat to med-high turning after 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides. Remove chicken and pour off oil except for 1 tablespoon.
2. Add the onions, garlic, and rosemary. Cook until onions and garlic are translucent and almost brown. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, wine and water and simmer until it is reduced and thickened.
3. While the sauce is reducing, keep chicken covered in a warming drawer. Start cooking the risotto. Cooking time is about 25 minutes. In a small saucepan, crush saffron into two cups of chicken broth. Let stand about 15 minutes.
4. In a large heavy pan, melt two tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add rice and cook stirring it for a minute or so. Stir in 3/4 cup of chicken broth and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Add the salt, and the saffron-chicken broth mix. Cook at medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until stock is absorbed. Continue to add as much plain chicken stock (broth) as needed always 1 cup at a time.
5. Remove from heat, add the remaining butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir gently folding the cheese until mixed throughout the rice. The risotto is supposed to be lumpy and moist.
6. Back to the chicken, add the chicken breasts back into the flame proof casserole (including the broth which has accumulated) until ready to plate. Keep it covered and warm.
7. Zucchini time: In a medium size frying pan, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sautee at medium-high heat until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
8. Time to plate or serve: First, serve an adequate portion of risotto in the middle of the plate. Add chicken breast to one side, spooning some sauce over it. Add the zucchini to the other side of the plate. Repeat process until all four plates have been assembled. Garnish with finely chopped Italian parsley. Buono appetito!
Recipe serves 4.
Provided by Thunderbolt Winery, Paso Robles, California.