Open in new window to print
Title: Syrah-Braised Lamb Shanks and Rice Pilaf
4 lamb shanks, dusted with flour
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 onion, quarter inch dice
1 carrot, quarter inch dice
1 12 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 bell pepper, quarter inch dice
1 rib celery, quarter inch dice
1/2 c dry red wine
salt and pepper
1 stick (1/2 c) butter
1 c good quality long grain rice
1 c water
1/2 c uncooked spaghetti, broken
12 oz can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the shanks with salt and pepper and dust with flour. Heat olive oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Braise shanks in the oil, turning until lightly browned on all sides. Transfer shanks to oven proof baking dish.
2. Add celery, onion, carrots, bell pepper and garlic and saute 5 minutes on low.
3. Deglaze pan using the red wine and add skillet mixture to baking dish. Add crushed tomatoes.
4. Cover the baking dish and place in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours, basting hourly with pan juices.
5. Remove from oven. Pour off pan drippings into skillet and reduce over low heat until thickened. Serve over pilaf.
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, brown uncooked spaghetti pasta in butter until lightly browned. 2. Add rice, broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for 16 minutes. Do not uncover or stir during cooking. Turn off heat and let pilaf sit until ready to serve.
Provided by Chumeia Vineyards, Paso Robles, California.