Open in new window to print
Title: Penne with Sausage, Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
¾ c drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced; reserve 2 T of oil
1 lb Italian hot sausages, casings removed
2 (8 oz) pkgs frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 ¾ c chicken broth
½ c dry white wine
12 oz penne
½ c freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/3 c chopped fresh basil
¼ c chopped parsley
8 oz fresh mozzarella, drained and cubed (optional)
ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil reserved from the tomatoes in a large frying pan over a medium-high flame.
2. Add the sausage and cook until brown, breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces with a fork, about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
3. Add the artichokes and garlic to the same skillet, and sauté over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth, wine and sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces slightly, about 8 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking together, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta.
7. Add the pasta, sausage, Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley to the artichoke mixture. Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed.
8. Stir in the mozzarella if using. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
Recipe provided by Mariah Vineyards, Mendocino County, California.