Open in new window to print
Title: Tempura-Battered Halibut
3 lbs halibut, cut into 1-oz pieces-about 4 per person
3 c flour
3 T corn starch
1 T baking powder
2 t salt
2 t sugar
3 c cold Domaine Ste. Michelle Sparkling Wine
Canola or peanut oil for frying extra flour for dredging
1. Heat oil in a large, deep pan for frying. Add enough oil so it is at least 3-4 inches deep, but is less than half way up the sides of the pan as the oil will foam up during cooking.
2. Using a deep fry thermometer, bring the temperature to 350-375 degrees F. Be sure to maintain this temperature while frying to ensure proper cooking.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
4. Add the sparkling wine and whisk gently just to incorporate. Do not overmix.
5. Dredge the fish in flour and then dip in the batter. Fry until golden brown. The same batter can be used for vegetables or chicken.
Soy Dipping Sauce
½ c soy sauce
½ c mirin (rice wine)
2 T water
2 T green onion, minced
1 T sesame seeds
Mix all the ingredients together and serve with the fish as a dipping sauce.
YIELD: 8-10 servings PREP TIME: 30 minutes COOK TIME: 30 minutes WINE SUGGESTION: Sauvignon Blanc, Eroica Riesling, Pinot Gris
Recipe provided by Chateau Ste. Michelle, Woodinville, Washington.