Open in new window to print
Title: Sauerbraten with Red Wine Recipe
Vinegar & red wine marinade
1½ cups red wine vinegar
1½ cups red wine
1½ cups water and a little salt
3 bay leaves
4 whole cloves
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
½ cup celery root, finely chopped
Main recipe inredients
2 lb beef (flat shoulder)
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
¼ celery root, coarsely chopped
3 tbs. flour
1 cup sour cream
Directions for Marinade
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil, let simmer for 10 minutes then cool.
Directions for the main recipe
1. Pour the marinade over the beef, cover and place in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour the vegetable oil into a roasting pan and place in oven.
3. Remove the meat from the marinade (save the marinade!) and pat dry, then rub with freshly ground pepper.
4. Place the meat in the heated roasting pan and allow to brown.
5. Reduce the heat to 420 degrees and add the vegetables. Heat the marinade and use to baste the meat as needed; roasting time is about 90 minutes.
6. Remove and carve the meat and vegetables, then scrape up the pan juices and thicken with flour. Add sour cream, season to taste and serve separately.
Serve with potato pancakes, noodles or mashed potatoes.
Recipe created by Traudl Huber, Huber Vineyards and Cellars, Lompoc California.