Open in new window to print
Title: Basque Fisherman’s Tuna Stew
1½ lbs fresh tuna steaks, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 t sweet paprika
2 T olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 bay leaves
A few sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 t dried)
1½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1 cup Handley Zinfandel
2 sweet roasted red bell peppers, puréed (or 1-8 oz jar Spanish piquillo peppers, puréed)
½ c tomato sauce, or 2 roasted tomatoes, peeled, seeded and pureed
½ t hot paprika or cayenne pepper
Fresh ground black pepper
1. A few hours before cooking, salt the fish lightly and rub it with 1 teaspoon of the paprika.
2. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan and cook the onion over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, the remaining 3 teaspoons paprika, green bell peppers, bay leaves, and thyme. Sauté a few minutes longer.
5. Add the potatoes, the wine, and just enough water to cover.
6. Cover the pan and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Add the puréed red peppers, tomato sauce, and hot paprika. Mix well and add tuna.
8. Simmer for about 8 more minutes, or until the tuna is tender and moist.
9. Adjust the salt and pepper.
Serve with bread brushed with olive oil and grilled, or a loaf of crusty bread.
Recipe Handley Cellars, Philo, California.