Open in new window to print
Title: Coq Au Vin Chicken Braised in Red Wine
2 lbs Chicken thighs
2 Onions, diced
2 Carrots, diced
1 Celery stalk, diced
4 Garlic cloves, peeled
2 c Red wine
2 T Olive oil
2 c Chicken stock
12 Button mushrooms, quartered
12 Pearl onions, peeled
2 T Parsley, chopped
1. Place the chicken, onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a stainless steel bowl or pan and cover with the red wine. Allow all the ingredients to marinate over night, two days is even better.
2. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Strain off the vegetables and set aside, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken on a paper towel and pat dry.
3. Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan fat side down. Cook the chicken until the skin is crispy. Turn the chicken and cook the other side until it’s browned. Remove from the pan and place it on a paper towel.
4. Add the reserved vegetables to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Place the chicken back in the pan.
5. Pour the wine marinade and chicken stock overtop. Bring to a simmer.
6. Cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for one hour.
7. Add the mushrooms and pearl onions and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes.
8. Remove the chicken from the pan and reduce the liquid by half to a light sauce consistency.
Serve over mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta Garnish with chopped parsley.
Recipe provided by Cakebread Cellars, Rutherford, California.