Open in new window to print
Title: Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
5 c chicken stock
2 T butter or extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
½ lb. chicken breast, cubed or sliced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
½ lb. mushrooms, coarsely chopped, tough stems discarded
½ c Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
¾ c Stoller JV Chardonnay
1 medium zucchini, chopped
½ c freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
2 T fresh finely chopped sage
1. Warm the chicken stock over medium heat.
2. In separate saucepan or skillet, heat the butter or oil over medium heat.
3. When it is hot, add the chicken breast and cook 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add onion and continue to stir occasionally until it softens, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook 1-2 more minutes
5. Add the rice and stir until it is coated with mixture. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then the JV Chardonnay. Stir and let the liquid bubble away.
6. Begin to add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition and every minute or so. When the stock is just about evaporated, add more. Keep the heat medium to medium high and stir frequently.
7. After about 20-25 minutes of adding stock the rice will have absorbed most of the liquid. Remove from heat at this time. You want it to be tender but still remain a tiny bit of crunch. Stir in the zucchini, softened butter, fresh sage and Pecorino Romano. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Recipe provided by Stoller Vineyards, Dayton, Oregon.