Open in new window to print
Title: Mulled Wine Jelly
1 bottle Brushy Mountain red wine, your choice
4 c sugar
½ c fresh lemon juice
1 bag mulling spices (purchased or your own blend in a cotton cloth)
1 box powdered pectin
6 jars and lids (8oz.) washed and sterilized and kept hot
1. Combine wine, juice, spices and pectin in a large non-reactive pot.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon over medium high heat.
3. Add sugar and return to a rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Set off heat and gently skim off the foam that has formed at the top.
5. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving ½” space at the top.
6. Add lids and tighten rims according to the manufacturers instructions (not too tight!)
7. Process in the large sterilizing pot if you wish, following instructions for processing jelly with the box of
8. Handle carefully so that the seal doesn’t break.
Servings suggestions: Serve with some really good crackers and cream cheese. Easy and delicious for a quick appetizer. This is also good as a sauce with pork or lamb melted with additional wine and some finely chopped shallots.
Recipe provided by Brushy Mountain Winery in Elkin, North Carolina.