Open in new window to print
Title: Roasted Beet, Blood Orange and Goat Cheese Salad
with Champagne Vinaigrette
1 lb Beets
1 T Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste
3 Blood Oranges
10 oz Mixed greens
Champagne Vinaigrette, recipe follows
1 1/2 c Goat Cheese, crumbled
1 c Toasted Walnuts, chopped
Reserved juice from oranges in salad
2 oz Champagne Vinegar
1 t Dijon Mustard
1 c Olive Oil
Kosher Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut tops off beets and scrub under cold water; pat dry. Rub beets lightly with olive oil and place in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and place in oven. Roast until tender, about 60 to 90 minutes, depending on the size of the beets.
3. When beets are done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Peel skins off with peeler or paring knife. Dice beets into 1/2 inch cubes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile peel and segment oranges into a small bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice from the remaining portion into a cup and use to flavor Champagne vinaigrette.
5. When ready to serve, toss the greens with vinaigrette in large salad bowl; divide between 6 individual salad plates. Divide beets, orange segments, and goat cheese between the six salads and garnish with chopped walnuts. Serve promptly.
1. In small bowl whisk together orange juice, vinegar and mustard.
2. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while constantly whisking in order to emulsify vinaigrette.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe provided by Chateau Ste Michelle, Woodinville, Washington.