Open in new window to print
Title: Inniskillin Icewine and Thyme Grilled Fig Salad with Gorgonzola and Sherry Dressing
8 ripe figs
125g (1/4 lb.) gorgonzola cheese
4 cups mixed greens - watercress, arugula, endive, mizuna, red oak, etc.
½ small fennel, roasted
2 tbsp. hazelnuts, skin removed and toasted
1 tbsp. shallots, minced
1 tsp. roasted garlic, (see note below)
1 tbsp. Inniskillin Icewine (Vidal or Riesling)
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
5 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. hazelnut oil
pinch of thyme
25g (2 tbsp.) butter
2 tbsp. Inniskillin Icewine
½ tsp. crushed fennel seeds
1 tsp. chopped thyme
1. Combine dressing ingredients. Season to taste.
2. Slice the cheese into small pieces and set aside.
3. Chop toasted hazelnuts and set aside.
4. Heat the butter together with 1 tbsp. of the Icewine, fennel seeds, and thyme in a small pan.
5. Cut the figs into quarters, leaving base attached. Brush with the butter, season with salt and pepper, and grill for about 4-5 min. Take off grill and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. of Icewine.
6. Place a piece of gorgonzola in center of each fig.
7. Toss greens and fennel in dressing and arrange on plates. Place figs on top and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.
Note: To roast garlic, preheat oven to 350F. Cut enough from the top of an entire garlic head in order to expose the cloves. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil and sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and roast in oven for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Use amount needed and rest can be stored in refrigerator for a few weeks.
Can be served with chilled Inniskillin Riesling or Vidal Icewine.
Recipe by Izabela Kalabis
Provided by Inniskillin Wines Inc., Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada.