Open in new window to print
Title: Braganini Meritage and Wild Mushroom Sauce
1 T unsalted butter
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, minced
2 lb assorted mushrooms, such as crimini, oyster, shiitake, chanterelle, or white, trimmed and sliced
Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ c Braganini Reserve Meritage
¼ c reserved beef broth (drippings from roast) or low-sodium canned broth
¼ c heavy cream
1 T minced fresh chives
Note: the Braganini Reserve Meritage is a Meritage blend.
1. Place a clean skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the butter and a 2-count drizzle of oil.
3. When the butter starts to foam, add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes to soften.
4. Add the mushrooms and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together for a few minutes.
5. Add the red wine, stirring to scrape up any stuck bits; then cook and stir to evaporate the alcohol.
6. When the wine is almost all gone, add the reserved beef juices. Let the liquid cook down and then take it off the heat.
7. Stir in the cream and chives, and season with salt and pepper.
Provided by St. Julian Winery in Michigan.