Open in new window to print
Title: Mushrooms and Cream
One of Giordano’s delicious creations
1 lb small whole fresh mushrooms, well cleaned
½ c whipping cream
½ c aromatic white wine
2 oz (1/4 c) unsalted butter
2 T Venturi-Schulze balsamic vinegar
1 T all purpose flour salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt half the butter in a heavy skillet and when it starts foaming, throw in the whole mushrooms.
2. Keep simmering, shaking the pan, until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
3. Add the salt, pepper and wine and, over low heat, simmer until the liquid has reduced to less than half.
4. Now, sprinkle the flour on the mushrooms and stir quickly to prevent sticking.
5. After a minute or so, add the cream and cook, stirring frequently for another couple of minutes.
6. Turn the heat off and stir in the rest of the butter cut into small chunks. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
Goes well with meat main dishes and fried fare or poured thickly over pasta with generous sprinkling of freshly-grated parmesan cheese.
Contributed by Venturi-Schulze Vineyards, British Columbia, Canada.