Open in new window to print
Title: Mushroom Barley Soup
1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 T cooking oil
2 c finely chopped onion
1 c diced carrots
1/2 c sliced celery
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t dried thyme
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) beef broth
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
2 c water
1/2 c Penguin Bay Arctic Three
1/2 c medium pearl barley
1/2 t salt (optional)
1/2 t pepper
Substitute: Pinot Grigio for wine
1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meat in oil.
2. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Saute onion, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
5. Add broths, water, wine barley, salt if desired and pepper.
6. Return meat to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender.
Yield: 11 servings
Recipe provided by Penguin Bay Winery, New York.