Open in new window to print
Title: Butternut Squash Risotto
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1/2 c finely chopped onion
2 c chopped butternut squash
1 t saffron threads
2 c Italian Arborio rice
1 c dry white wine
6 c chicken broth
1/2 c (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
3 T coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
1/2 c lightly toasted squash or pumpkin seeds, optional
1. Heat the butter and oil together on medium-high heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Stir in the squash and saffron. Cook 4 minutes more.
3. Add the rice. Stir to coat evenly with the vegetables.
4. Stir in the wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until the wine is almost completely absorbed, about 5 minutes.
5. Gradually add the broth 1/2 cup at a time. Continue cooking at a steady simmer, stirring until the broth is absorbed by the rice before adding more broth. Continue adding broth and stirring until the rice is creamy and firm but not hard in the center, about 20 to 30 minutes total cooking time.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and sage leaves.
7. Serve garnished with toasted squash or pumpkin seeds, if desired.
Recipe provided by Butterball.