Open in new window to print
Title: Grilled Red Onion & Red Wine Soup
Recipe inspired by a recipe in Deborah Madison’s “Greens” cookbook.
salt and pepper
3 lbs red onions, quartered through the root end and peeled
¼ c olive oil
6 large cloves garlic, minced
4 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
3 quarts stock, vegetable or chicken
3 c dry red wine
¼ c parsley, chopped
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
Garnish ideas: sour cream, other fresh herbs, grated parmesan cheese, seasoned toasted bread crumbs.
- Brush onion quarters lightly with peanut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill them over medium-high grill. Grill all sides of the onions evenly, then remove them from the grill and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute garlic one minute, then add the tomatoes. Bring tomato mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- Cut root end off onions and add them to the tomato mixture along with the stock and wine. Bring soup to a boil again and then simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until onions are completely soft.
- Allow soup to cool slightly, then puree soup in a blender and return to pot.
- Correct soup for seasonings and serve hot with the parsley, thyme, and any other of the suggested garnishes. Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe provided by Chef Kristine Schug at Schug Carneros Estate Winery.
Chef Kristine Schug interview