The recipe for Braised Short Ribs includes red wine, star anise, orange zest along with several other traditional ingredients. This recipe is from Cakebread Cellars located in Napa Valley. Enjoy!
Braised Short Ribs with Star Anise
Bay Leaf and Orange Zest
Serves 4 – 6
4 lbs short ribs, bone in
2 T vegetable oil
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 T tomato paste
2 c red wine
2 c beef broth
1 piece star anise
3 strips orange zest
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a wide, heavy bottom stainless steel saucepan, brown short ribs over high heat with vegetable oil, until brown on all sides. Remove from the pan, add the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes to caramelize.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Deglaze with the red wine and reduce by half.
- Add the beef broth, star anise, orange zest and bay leaves. Return the short ribs to the pan, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and place in the middle of the oven.
- Cook for 3 hours or until beef is tender and is pulling away from the bone.
- Remove beef and strain broth into a saucepan.
- Skim the top of broth of fat and reduce to a light sauce consistency.
- Pour the sauce back over the short ribs and serve with potato puree, noodles or your favorite accompaniment.
Enjoy with a Glass of Cakebread Cellars Zinfandel.
Recipe provided by Cakebread Cellars, California