I always enjoy cooking in the fall and using ingredients like butternut squash, cranberries, apples, and pumpkin. I’m always on the lookout for turkey recipes, too! Adding wine to recipes is also an option. The recipe below is for Butternut Squash Risotto from Butterball. Check it out as it also uses white wine. Serve the remaining wine with dinner.
Butternut Squash Risotto
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 cups chopped butternut squash
1 tsp. saffron threads
2 cups Italian Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
6 cups chicken broth
½ cup (2 oz.) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
½ cup lightly toasted squash or pumpkin seeds, optional
- Heat the butter and oil together on medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the squash and saffron. Cook 4 additional minutes.
- Stir in rice and coat evenly with the vegetables.
- Stir in the wine. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until the wine is almost completely absorbed.
- Gradually add the broth ½ cup broth at a time. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the broth is absorbed by the rice before adding more broth. Continue adding broth and stirring until the rice is creamy and firm but not hard in the center, about 20 to 30 minutes total cooking time.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and sage leaves.
- Serve garnished with toasted squash or pumpkin seeds.
Recipe provided by Butterball http://www.butterball.com