Saturday, 2. March 2013
While many areas of the country continue to have cold winter weather, this recipe for Apple Bacon Tomato Soup with red wine is a great way to warm up. My family knows that I love bacon so this is going to be one of my personal “keeper” recipes.
This recipe for Apple Bacon Tomato Soup is from Flying Otter Vineyard and Winery in Adrian, Michigan. Please note that the recipe is from Sharon Anway who made the soup using Flying Otter’s Noiret.
Apple Bacon Tomato Soup
Recipe from Sharon Anway, made with our Noiret.
5 slices bacon
½ white onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 (15.5-oz) can pinto beans (drained)
1 (14.5-oz) can Italian style diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the apples in the red wine until soft, don’t overcook.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon from pan, coarsely chop, and set aside.
3. In same pan, sauté white onion, garlic and celery in the bacon grease over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
4. Stir in beef stock, pinto beans, tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat.
5. Add the bacon, apples and red wine into the soup mixture.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until well blended.
7. Can be topped with cheese if desired.
Serve with Italian or French bread.
The owners of Flying Otter note, “It says it serves 8, but I’d say 4 is more realistic.”
Recipe provided by Flying Otter Vineyard and Winery in Adrian, Michigan