With Memorial Day Weekend here, if you are looking for a special recipe, check out this one for Tasty Saffron Clams from Stoller Family Estate in Oregon. Hope you are having an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend.
- 2.5 c chicken stock
- generous pinch of saffron threads
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 c orzo
- 1 c brown or white rice
- 1 plum tomato seeded and chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lb bulk chorizo
- 1 c roasted corn kernels (available for purchase at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Serrano chile pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 c dry white wine , preferably SV Chardonnay
- 3 lbs manilla or venus clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- handful of chopped parsley
1. In a medium saucepan heat the stock and saffron threads and steep about 5 minutes.
2. In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the pasta and brown until nutty and fragrant. Stir in the rice, then the tomatoes and saffron stock, bringing to a boil.
3. Lower the heat, cover and simmer about 18 minute until tender.
4. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and brown. Stir in the corn, chile pepper and garlic. Cook 2 -3 minutes to soften the garlic. Add the rice mixture and the wine to the chorizo mixture in the dutch oven and add the clams and parsley.
5. Cover the pot tightly and cook until all the clams open. Toss it all together and serve with SV Chardonnay and crusty bread.
Recipe prepared by Shelly Cooper, a friend of Stoller Family Estate, Oregon.
Recipe provided by Stoller Family Estate.